Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream (adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar (apple cider is recommended by the book, but I didn’t have any so just used normal/malt)
- 1.25 cups plain/all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond/caramel/other extract, or more vanilla if you prefer
- 1/4 cup shortening/vegetable fat
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 2 cups icing/confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.*
- Whisk soy milk with vinegar and set aside for at least a few minutes to curdle.
- Sift flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix together.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar in a seperate bowl on medium speed for no more than two minutes, until light and fluffy. Then beat in the extracts, and then alternate beating in the curdled milk mixture and dry ingredients, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fill the cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for approx 20-22 mins till lightly golden and done. Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before frosting.
- Buttercream: In a small bowl, cream together the shortening and margarine, then add the sugar in roughly 1/2 cup additions. After each addition of sugar, add a splash of lemon juice and beat well with a electric handheld mixer. Add the vanilla and zest and beat for a few more minutes until smooth, creamy and fluffy. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to use. Then pipe away and decorate to your heart’s content! Or just slather on. Whatever floats your boat!
*I used muffin liners, as I didn’t have any cupcake liners. I found muffin liners didn’t work as well- they didn’t make as many for a start! Next time, I would either use the recommended liners or bun/small cake cases.
And two cupcakes later, I was a very happy girl!
This weekend, I’m going to be baking some Christmas gingerbread cookies. So while I was baking today, I was having a very tough internal debate, that really made me question who I am: Am I a Cookie Girl or a Cake Girl? See I would say both normally, but if I had to pick? I might have to go with cookies…argh but too hard to decide, especially after two of these beauties!
So weigh in: are you a cupcake or cookie person?
Have a great Friday tomorrow!