Do I have an awesome recipe to share with you guys today or what?!
Makes approx 12 large bars.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (Note: I found this quite little sweet (even for me!) so I would recommend trying 1/2 cup, but it’s up to you)
- 1/2 cup protein powder (optional- add 1/2 cup wheat germ, wheat bran, etc. otherwise)
- 1 cup spelt flour (or flour of your choice- any will work)
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dried fruits (I used 1/4 cup sultanas, 1/4 cup dried blueberries, 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or honey)
- 1/2 large banana, beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (Note: this makes it very applesauce-y. I love applesauce, so this is a good thing for me, but you can reduce it to 1/2 cup for a slightly crunchier texture, or use 1/2 applesauce+ 1/2 oil)
- 2 tsp vanilla/other extract (I used 1t vanilla+1t almond)
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C. Grease a 9×13 inch pan well.
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (oats, sugar, wheat germ, protein powder, flour, cinnamon, salt and dried fruits).
- Make a well in the centre of the mix, and pour in all the wet ingredients (all the remainding ones), and mix well.
- Bake for approx 25-30 mins until the bars turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 mins, then cut into bars straight away for easy cutting. Enjoy!
Add the wet and mix well!
I chose large bars of course!
The best thing about this recipe is that it is totally customisable! For example, you could try:
- Adding in nuts/cacao nibs for a slight crunch in the texture
- Using a variety of other dried fruits, or even chocolate chips!
- Adding canned pumpkin (and reducing applesauce accordingly)
- Making them more crunchy by reducing the applesauce to 1/2 cup
- Adding 1/4 cup of nut butter (and reducing applesauce by 1/4 cup)
I can’t wait to try out some of these other subs! I’m thinking a PB and chocolate chip crunchy granola bar?
So what are you- a chewy or a crunchy person? I am definitely a chewy person mostly! Cookies come to mind- I’ll take a soft chewy cookie over a crunchy one any day! The only exception I can think of is in fact granola, but I prefer chewy bars to crunchy ones, hence this recipe! I’m going to try a crunchy version too though to compare
And what is your favourite dried fruit, or are you not a dried fruit person? I love love LOVE dried fruit!! I love them all, but my favourite has to be dried apricots I think!
P.S. Going along with my healthy bar theme today, I thought you should all know that the lovely Freya is hosting an amazing Nakd giveaway! Haha this is actually the third time running I’ve promoted someone’s giveaway! Loving the giveaways!!
P.P.S. Because of the sudden surge in blogger giveaways here in England (not complaining- I think it’s really really great!!), I’m going to be putting off my own one for a bit to spread them out! But never fear, it will come! I’ll just leave you in suspense for a little longer!
Love you all! Have a great week!